|The First National Bank of Talladega|
Online Banking/Business Accounts
Online Banking/Corporate Accounts
Online Banking/Personal Accounts
Other/Safe Deposit Box
Welcome to Internet Banking at First National Bank of Talladega , your hometown bank. We are headquartered in Talladega, Alabama, with three locations and three ATM's to serve all of our customers' financial needs.
On behalf of the directors, management, and staff of First National Bank, we thank you for this opportunity to introduce ourselves and our philosophy of banking, as well as a brief listing of our accounts, services, and banking locations.
For over 157 years, First National Bank has held firm to the belief that the relationships we maintain with our customers serve as the cornerstone of our success. The First National Bank of Talladega was founded in the back room of a mercantile store, in a village of 1,250 citizens and has never closed its doors. From this humble beginning in 1848, the bank has grown to over $260 million in total assets and enjoys the distinction of being the oldest continuously operated bank in Alabama. It remains independently home owned and operated and proudly serves Talladega County as its primary trade area.
Major James Isbell (1806-1871) was founder of the Isbell National Bank - now the First National Bank of Talladega. Isbell was a son of Thomas Isbell and Discretion Howard, and grandson of James Isbell (1720-80) and Frances Tompkins Levingstone.
Major Isbell also organized the City National Bank of Selma, Alabama in 1870 and served as President of that bank until his death on December 6, 1871. The year 1848 found Talladega a hustling young town, nestled among the Blue Ridge Mountains of Alabama. She was just entering her "teens", having been incorporated in 1835. There were approximately 1250 citizens.
The announcement that James Isbell was opening a much needed banking business in Talladega was joyfully received by the citizens.
The banking business under the name of James Isbell, Banker was conducted in the "Counting Room" in the back of the building, located on the corner of North and East Streets, called 'Isbell's Brick Corner.' The operation remained there until the 'Old Bank' was completed in 1869. The terra cotta building that housed the bank from 1869 until 1963 is one of only five such buildings east of the Mississippi River.
Upon the death of Major James Isbell, in 1871, his son Captain Robert Houston Isbell became senior partner, and the name of the bank was changed to that of Isbell & Company, Bankers. At that time William Park Armstrong, the son-in-law of James Isbell, joined the firm.
The success of the banking house continued. The same methods and rules were adhered to and Robert Isbell succeeded in all the banking reputation, fidelity, skill, and success which his father had obtained. On August 23, 1892 Captain Isbell died.
Isbell & Company, Bankers applied for a charter and received National Bank Charter No. 4838 on January 11, 1893. The name was changed to The Isbell National Bank of Talladega.
The bank now sits less than a block from its first home. The handsome new structure of stone and concrete is located just east of the old bank building next to the First Presbyterian Church on East North Street.
A drive-thru motor bank was built in October 1974. A full service branch was opened in Lincoln in December 1969. In July 1988 a full service branch was opened in Munford.
The First National Bank of Talladega was founded in the back room of a mercantile store, in a village of 1,250 citizens and has never closed its doors. From this humble beginning in 1848 the bank has grown to over $260 million in total assets and enjoys the distinction of being the oldest continuously operated bank in Alabama. It remains independently home owned and operated and proudly serves Talladega County as its primary trade area.
120 East North Street
Talladega, AL 35160
|Title:||The First National Bank of Talladega|
|Bad link? Let us know about it!|
|No comments have been posted yet, be the first to add yours!||You must be logged in to leave comments|