|First Northern Bank|
Online Banking/Business Accounts
Online Banking/Corporate Accounts
Online Banking/Online Brokerage
Online Banking/Personal Accounts
Trust Company/Trust by State/California
FIRST NORTHERN BANK
Your Locally Owned Community Bank
First Northern Bank was established in 1910, and has remained faithful to its roots as an institution formed to
address specific personalized needs. First Northern continues to serve such needs with a strong commitment
to superior personal service, and commitment to support and reinvest in each of the communities the
Bank serves. The Bank continues to maintain its commitment as a full service community bank serving the business,
professional, personal, and real estate requirements of the people in Solano, Yolo, Sacramento and Placer
Counties, with a reach into neighboring El Dorado County with mortgage loan products.
The Bank opened for business on February 1, 1910. The Bank’s corporate offices and main branch are in Dixon,
Solano County. The Bank has 12 full service branches located in Dixon, Winters, Downtown Sacramento,
Roseville, Folsom, Davis, West Sacramento, Vacaville (two locations), Fairfield, Woodland and Suisun City. First
Northern Bank has Real Estate Loan Offices in Davis, Vacaville, Roseville, Woodland, and Folsom, and an SBA
Loan Department and Asset Management & Trust Department in Sacramento, and Investment & Brokerage
Services Department in Folsom. First Northern offers a wide range of SBA, real estate, commercial, agricultural
and consumer loans, as well as a full array of non-FDIC insured investment and brokerage products and services.
The Bank can be found on the Web at www.thatsmybank.com.
Senior Management Team
Owen J. Onsum, President and Chief Executive Officer
Patrick S. Day, Executive Vice President/Chief Credit Officer
Louise A. Walker, Senior Executive Vice President/Chief Financial Officer
Robert M. Walker, Executive Vice President/Branch Administrator
Kimberly A. DeBra, Senior Vice President/Corporate Communications & Marketing
Bruce A. Orris, Senior Vice President/Chief Information Officer
Larry Miller, Senior Vice President/Human Resources Director
Board of Directors
Frank J. Andrews, Jr. – Chairman, Fairfield Greg DuPratt – Vice Chairman, Dixon
Lori J. Aldrete – Davis Foy S. McNaughton – Davis
John M. Carbahal – Winters Owen J. Onsum – Dixon
Diane P. Hamlyn – Davis David W. Schulze – Davis
John F. Hamel – Dixon
As of September 30, 2006, First Northern Bank’s assets totaled $655.8 million, deposits totaled $577.4 million and
loans $490.4 million, with 248 employees (FTE).
Back in 1910, a group of Dixon folks believed they weren’t getting the
kind of banking services they needed and decided to do something
about it. On January 20th of that year, 25 men and women met at the
Dixon Alfalfa Land Company. In the spirit of the independent, do-it-yourself
tradition of their farming community, these men and women organized their
state-chartered savings bank, Northern Solano Bank.
The Bank was to be backed with all local capital and no outside
investment or affiliation. Those present elected a Board of Directors, and
authorized $100,000 of capital stock of which they paid in
$60,000. They then appointed a committee to go to San Francisco
to obtain a safe and other necessary supplies.
Henry R. Timm
On January 31st, Henry R. Timm of Dixon was elected the first president of the newly organized
Northern Solano Bank. February 1, 1910, just twelve (12) days after the organizational meeting,
Northern Solano Bank opened for business in a remodeled former ice cream parlor located at approximately “185 North
First St.,” Dixon, with a staff of two. New depositors were subtly persuaded with notes in the personal column of the
Dixon Tribune newspaper… “Have you opened that account with Northern Solano Bank yet? Eighty of your friends have
started, why not you?”
By March 1910, the Bank had 93 accounts with deposits totaling $75,304.55. Two months later there were 180 depositors
representing $101,648.84 in accounts. The following year, the Bank had purchased “the Old Corner” property at North
First and B Streets. The coveted location was secured after heated bidding against the Bank of Dixon (Bank of Dixon was
purchased by Bank of Italy, which then became Bank of America). A portion of the
structure was torn down and replaced by a new bank building and Northern Solano
Bank moved from the former ice cream parlor into the new banking quarters in
May of 1911. First Northern Bank’s corporate offices and main branch are at this
same site today and dominate the block, but back then the Bank rented office space
to a haberdashery, a harness maker, cigar maker, the Wells Fargo Express Company,
and Pacific Telephone.
The new building was one of the two important accomplishments of the year 1911;
the Bank received approval of its application to establish the First National Bank of
Dixon, a commercial bank, and on January 2, 1912, the Bank was established under
a Federal Charter.
For the next 43 years, the Northern Solano Savings Bank, a savings
bank and the First National Bank of Dixon, a commercial bank, operated
under the same roof with the same Shareholders, Management
and Board of Directors. In an effort to increase efficiency of operation,
reduce operating expenses, and improve lending capacity, groundwork
for consolidation of the First National Bank and Northern
Solano Bank began in 1954, and the Comptroller of the
Currency gave final approval to consolidate the two Banks into the First
National Bank of Dixon, effective as of the close of business Friday, April
8, 1955. At this time, two of the original bank directors were still living,
the Bank’s assets totaled $6.2 million and the Bank employed two (2)
officers and a staff of eight (8).
The Bank continued to grow and evolve from a small farm bank to a full
service financial institution addressing the needs of the area’s growing population. In 1962, when the Bank celebrated its
52nd anniversary, deposits had increased in the past 20 years from $900,000 to $7,700,000. In that same year, the Directors
decided to tear down the old Bank building and build a large two-story modern facility. The Dixon Office was housed in
temporary quarters across the street during this construction, and with three (3) officers and a staff of 17, moved back to
“the Old Corner” in June 1963 into the new state-of-the-art banking facility.
On January l, 1980, in order to reduce Federal Reserve requirements and operate with higher lending limits, the Federal
Charter was relinquished in favor of a State Charter, and the Bank’s name was changed to First Northern Bank of Dixon.
As with the earlier consolidation, only the name changed. Management, Directors and Shareholders remained the same.
BRANCHING AND EXPANSION:
1970 – The Bank expanded from its Dixon base by opening its first branch in Winters, Yolo County.
1976 – Full service Branch opened in Davis, Yolo County, bringing the first automated teller machine to Davis.
The opening of this office was a significant step toward reducing the Bank’s dependence on agriculture.
1981 – A depository Branch was opened in South Davis.
(In 1986, this depository office was consolidated into the Davis Office.)
1983 – Full service Branch opened in West Sacramento, Yolo County (at the Yolo/Sacramento County line).
1983 – Real Estate Department opened in Davis in order to accommodate the demand of the Bank’s customers for
long-term residential real estate loans and has enabled the Bank to access the secondary real estate market.
1985 – Vacaville Branch in Solano County was added to the Solano/Yolo I-80 corridor network.
1993 – A new 33,000 sq. ft. Operations Center was built in Dixon and centralized seven departments, six of which had
been housed in leased space. These Departments currently include Human Resources, Central Operations, Data Processing,
Audit, Credit Services, Special Assets, and Central Loan Department. The Annual Meeting of Shareholders is held
here. The Operations Center also includes training rooms, and meeting rooms, central storage for supplies/records and
expansion space to accommodate anticipated growth for 10–15 yrs.
1994 – A full service Branch in Fairfield, Solano County, was added to the Solano/Yolo network on the I-80 corridor.
1996 – The El Dorado Hills Real Estate Loan Office, El Dorado County, was opened to serve the growing mortgage loan
demand in the Foothills area north of Sacramento.
1997 – An SBA Loan Department was opened in Sacramento to provide government guaranteed small business loans for
the Bank’s entire market area.
1997 – The Bank opened its seventh branch in Woodland in June to serve the agricultural, commercial and personal
needs of this rapidly growing community.
2000 – The Downtown Financial Center was opened in Vacaville to better serve the individual and business financial
needs on the west side of I-80.
2000 – The Board of Directors unanimously voted in favor of creating a bank holding company—First Northern
2001 – The Bank opened a Real Estate Loan Office in Roseville.
2001 – The Bank opened its first satellite office in June at Davis’ Covell Gardens, a senior living community.
2001 – The Bank opened a second satellite office of its Davis Branch in November at the University Retirement
2002 – The Bank opened its ninth Branch on the Harbor in Suisun City.
2002 – The Bank received its Trust Powers from the California Department of Financial Institutions and FDIC. The Asset
Management & Trust Department opened for business in a temporary location.
2002 – The Bank opened its tenth Branch on a prominent corner in downtown Sacramento.
The Asset Management & Trust Department was relocated to its permanent location on the mezzanine of the Downtown
2003 – The Bank opened a full service Real Estate Loan Office in the same commercial office complex as First Northern’s
2005 – The Bank opened its eleventh Branch in the bustling business district in Roseville.
2006 – The Bank opened its Folsom Financial Center, a one-stop shop housing its twelfth Branch, the Folsom Real Estate
Loan Office and the Investment & Brokerage Services Department in a rapidly growing business district in Folsom.
|Title:||First Northern Bank|
|Bad link? Let us know about it!|
|No comments have been posted yet, be the first to add yours!||You must be logged in to leave comments|