|First National Bank of Brundidge|
Online Banking/Personal Accounts
Online Banking/Business Accounts
Brief History of Brundidge to 1904
Brundidge was founded in 1851 when George C. Collier moved here and opened a general store. For a number of years, the community and post office went by the name of "Collier Store". The name was changed to Brundidge in order to honor James M. Brundidge (1812-1901), a prominent Mason.
Brundidge supported the Confederacy when the War Between the States broke out, and several companies of soldiers were formed in the town. The Brundidge news paper reveals that there was a great deal of interest in the 1890's for a local bank or two. Robberies were quite common, and local citizens were beginning to demand some kind of banking services. The Brundidge Banking Company was created in 1900 and provided a great service, but it was felt by many that the services of still another bank were needed.
The mother of James T. Ramage died when he was just an infant, and he came to Pike County to live with his uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. Burr Ramage. J.T. Ramage came to Brundidge in about 1893 and became a partner with J.E. Helms, and W.D. Lee in a firm known as HELMS, LEE & Company. They were dealers in hardware, furniture, stoves, coffins, and harvesting machinery.
J.T. Ramage later came out of the partnership and created his own firm, which specialized in plantation supplies. He soon showed a knack for business and became a prominent businessman. He was convinced that Brundidge needed and could support another bank and began work in that direction.
The Brundidge News contained the following in its issue of August 13, 1904: The old wooden two-story building which stood on the east side of South Main is a memory of the past. Workmen commenced pulling it down last Tuesday to make room for the brick building to be erected by the First National Bank.
The First National Bank opened for business on Saturday, October 15, 1904. The directors were: J.T. Ramage, J.S. Carroll, A.G. Seay, Dick Fryer and Burr Ramage.
The Brundidge News had the following to say in its issue for that day: The First National Bank of Brundidge open for business this morning. It has a good set of officers and directors. The institution will be welcomed by the people as an evidence of the growth and importance of Brundidge as a business center, and we are sure its promoters will find it a paying investment.
The Troy Herald, In its issue of October 22, 1904 , had the following new item: The First National Bank opened for business Saturday morning, and we learned that its deposits Saturday aggregated more than $16,000. Mr. James T. Ramage, who is president and has immediate control, is one of the foremost businessmen of this section, and there is no doubt but that he will get his share of the business. As soon as they get their fixtures in and furniture arranged, their quarters will be up-to-date in every respect.
The First National Bank of Brundidge is located at:
137 South Main Street
Telephone Banking Numbers are:
(334)735-0343 and (888)277-3711
|Title:||First National Bank of Brundidge|
|Bad link? Let us know about it!|
|No comments have been posted yet, be the first to add yours!||You must be logged in to leave comments|